Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Flashback to Kilkenny

While making our way to Dublin we stopped at Kilkenny for one night. This towns main feature is the Kilkenny Castle which we toured. We chose to avoid touring the town and instead took advantage of the fine weather and sat in the castle grounds for the afternoon reading and soaking in the warm sun. You really cannot get much better than sitting on a hill with a book over looking a medieval castle.
Backpacking is not always as romantic as it sounds. Laundry facilities are hard to find which often leaves me with hand washing as the only choice. I show you this picture to shatter the perfect picture in anyone mind that everyday is wonderful as clearly spending the day in almost dry undies because there wasn't time to let them dry...despite the blow drier...was very pleasant.
But aside from that, the beauty in every town here is stunning. Bushels of trees separate farm land in the countryside while ivy creeps up old stone walls, slowly changing from green to auburn whispering the coming of winter. Sheep wander along dirt roads while all ages gather together over a pint and count the days blessings (or curses depending on who won the Hurling or Football match). To be here feels somewhat like the completion to a pilgrimage. For most of my young life I have loved Irish music which is somewhat ironic since my name Erin is Gallic meaning From Ireland. It is like a piece of me has always in Ireland and I am finally returning home. The only thing lacking is the Jigs and Reels which we have yet to find. The pubs are filled with beautiful traditional Irish ballads and Top 40 hits, but are lacking the music in which I cannot help but dance. But we will perservie and find it! We have to there is no option!! But never the less...I am FINALLY HERE and feel like this country was made for me!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think of 'So You Think You Can Dance Canada' when I see this last picture. Your pics of Coldplay are amazing. Looking forward to seeing you in a little more than 1 week.

    ReplyDelete