Saturday, August 1, 2009

Reflecting in Valencia

We are in Valencia and got here yesterday evening.

At first we got off the train at a small city called Castiellan but it felt errie and we couldn´t find a place to stay so we hoped on another train to here. It is absolutaly gorgeous here, old spanish buildings and a long wonderfu beach, great sangria and much cheaper than Barcelona.


On the train over here we met a wonderful Austrailian couple and a local Spanish girl, Adiz who I chatted with for the whole ride. She´s a Spanish University student whose living in Dublin learning English and hey Michelle...I¨ve got us a free place to stay in Dublin!!!! Seriously, I do!

We spent the day today at the beach. It was gorgeous and huge, the beach itself was probably about half a mine wide and the water was so warm. We enjoyed a delicious lunch of watermelon, fresh plums and peaches which are now in season here, bagetts with honey, and cold Spanish beer.


Oh ya, I posted a few pictures on my other enteries, so scroll down to check them out. Of course knowing me, I've already taken well over 150 pictures in the 3 days I've been here. Hope 24 GB lasts me through these next 2 months!

I am sitting on a comfy couch in our hotel's lobby and just a few minutes ago could here the church bells ringing. It's so hard to find time to stop and think. Even though we're not hectic travelers and are really relaxed most of the time, my mind is still occupied by the people around me, the new surroundings, and making sure my precious camera bag is guarded at all times. Last night I realized that though I haven't experienced one ounce of jet lag, my spirit is getting weary. I'm sensing the need to spend some time alone in reflection and centering myself. I can so easily get swept up in this culture of style and poise, in which young people are ever present. Its funny that no matter where you are and how old I get, I still want to fit in, look like a local and be accepted by my peers. As much as I am loving traveling with the 4K's (the Klippensteins), I so aware of all the young backpackers and locals around who are having, what appears to be a good time. I guess I miss my friends on this journey. Andrea I miss you every time I drink a cafe con leche. Michelle I miss you whenever I haul out the Nichnee accent. Amy I heard Fiest playing in a grocery store yesterday and thought of you. Christina everytime I repack my bag, which is every night, I am reminded of you. Connie, Rick, Kaija, and Aria, traveling with a family of four affirms in me that you can totally do this. Mom, Wendy got a foot message today on the beach and I could see you kicking the massouse in the shnaze, just like in Mexico. Dad, everynight I drink wine and wish you were here so we could use our impressive lingo. Melissa P, we are staying in a district where all the shops give me visions of us shopping together someday for something special, white, and flowy:) Darlene, I drink a pinte a day just for you! Okay, if I've forgotten anyone I"m sorry, its not that I haven't thought of you, its just that your moment is to come.

Thank you all for your continual prayers for without I would not feel as grounded as I do!

Ciao for now

3 comments:

  1. looks like enjoy the journey ,and You are beautiful on the beach LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for some reason i lost the comment, so let me try again....i just sent you an e-mail, but should have checked the blog first!

    i'm "on" the weary spirit thing!!

    praying you'll be as present to the moment as possible!!

    love you!

    dar

    ReplyDelete