Friday, July 31, 2009

Barcelona



Hot, ocean breeze, lots of people, wonderful architecture and smells like urine...that Barcelona in a nutshell. While this city is rich in history and art, I am ready to get out of here and head out into the countryside. Upon my arrival a couple days ago I met up with The Klippentstein's (this is how I will refer to them from now on:). It was quite dramatic as Wendy yelled my name across a Piazza and I turned around to see a family of 4 running towards me...the audience of people around found it amusing as we were all screaming and hugging!

Below is me in Gaudi´s park.


Yesterday I checked out my hostel, said goodbye to my Austrailian roommates, and joined the Klippenstein's. I will be with them for the next few weeks as we venture down the Spanish coast, dip into Morocco, and tour vineyards in Portugal. Yesterday we walked for 5 and a half hours through Barcelona, admiring Gaudi's famous and abstract architecture. I'm sorry for the lack of pictures, but I haven't quite figured out how to download my gigantic RAW files onto this small computer yet. We made a delicious supper consisting of Fresh salsa, guacamoli, watermelons, and $0.99 wine ....complete with some MILKA chocolate (Andrea I thought of you:).

Here´s a picture of the 8 flights of stairs we took to get to our hostel room.

After putting the wee ones to bed at 11 pm the three of us adults went exploring and enjoyed some wonderful Tapas (a variety of appetizers for which you pay by the amount of toothpicks left on your plate), and some of the best sangria I've ever had. I love how people are out late here, young and old, simply enjoying the night with others.

My hostel room over looks a narrow street that is bustling with people. Underneath is a coin collecters store, in which I had a wonderful conversation in Spanish with an elderly gentelman about Canadian coins...for which he had for sale and found moi bonita. I forgot how much I love the challange of speaking a different language. So much fun.

Here´s me and Miranda, pumped to be here.

Well have to go catch our train....until next time.

3 comments:

  1. This all sounds like heaven to me!
    Although i'm curious, did you get any sleep in your first hostel? (being the party hostel of all party hostels that is)
    Miss you darling!
    Love,
    your most avid reader (blogspot is about the only thing that isn't blocked on government computers! how convienient!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I'll read all your entries with tears in my eyes. I feel like my senses come alive when I read your entries! It feels strange not being out there with you, I miss you lots and look forward to reading more entries. SOAK it up!! (sounds like you already are)...and fun reunion story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and Andrea...you aren't alone with the tears in your eyes.

    ReplyDelete