Thursday, July 9, 2009

Viva la Vida

Cold Play seems to have a little piece of life figured out. That it's meant to be lived.



It is with this in mind that I'm taking a year off. A year off from University, routine, and security. I do so in hopes to restore life that was lost in the fire of business, instill a greater awareness of the world around me, deepen my understanding of who I am, and celebrate life!

While, I vow to keep my year as open as possible, I have a vague idea of what it will entail. On July 28th, I will be flying to Spain. For the next 2 months I will be roaming Europe, venturing along the Spanish coast, Portugal, Morocco, France, UK, and Ireland. At some points I will be meeting friends and travel in good company. Other portions will be on my own (my mother would appreciate your prayer support on this one).

October -January/February I will be staying in Canada. My focus for these months is to invest in the relationships in my life without the stress of work and school causing me to withdraw. I desire to initiate things in my community that I have always wanted to pursue but never had time or energy for. To give of myself sincerely and energized.

March, if one has the opportunity to escape a Manitoba winter...they are foolish to not do so. So, it is with this in mind that I, at long last, will venture down to the equator and immerse myself in the Latin American culture. Here I hope to attend a Spanish language school and embrace the warm Latino community.

Those of you that know me, know that I am a person of lists and organization. Those of you that know that, also know that I love personal growth. So, with that said I have compiled a list of goals that I wish to accomplish by the end of this year. I post these with the hope that you will keep me accountable to their completion.

Goals:

1) Ride a camel in the desert (Bedouin scarves flowing in the wind optional)
2) Irish dance in Ireland (and not just as so-called Irish pubs in Winnipeg)
3) Sleep in a castle
4) Start a dance team at Seeds of Life (my home church)
5) Choreograph another musical
6) Take an arts class for myself (art, photography, dance, etc...)
7) Get a tattoo (this is not impulsive, I been designing it for 2 years)
8) Learn Spanish
9) Learn how to surf
10) Be authentic in all that I do (to not prove or protect myself)

The title of my blog is my year in a nutshell. I feel that I am dancing to a different tune than the one our Western world promotes. I am Offbeat, choosing not be ruled by money or by social status but by life experience and rich relationships. And I am doing this on the foundation of simply being who I am, my God given identity, believing that who I am is enough....Barefoot.

And so, I invite you to join me as I fly, walk, bus, sit, ride, and run down different roads, exploring the unknown and appreciating the familiar. Life was meant to be lived!

4 comments:

  1. Look forward to hearing and hopefully seeing some pictures of all of your adventures!
    Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you Erin! I'm excited to see where this leads you! And to see if you can check off some of the things on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog Erin! I will check it addictively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most excellent. Love the list. Go and give that camera a workout!!

    ReplyDelete