Thursday, July 16, 2009

Minds Eye




I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown

I am not an artist. I have tried in vain to paint, sculpt, draw, and sew...it is just not in me. My hands simply cannot convey, with neither pencil or brush, the image in my minds eye no matter what the avenue. I may not be able to capture a moment on canvas, but it is in photography that I have found my artistic outlet. Here I am only required to adjust aperature, shutter spead, practical tasks that require little of my hands and a great deal from my eye. With one click of the shutter relase button I am saved from a world of dissipointed artistic hopes.


I did not know I was a photographer until I started traveling. My viewfinder made me see the world not just look at it, as the anonomous author states above. A childs spilt ice cream; an old couple sitting at a cafe, their years of marraige evident in their comfortable stance; the sun gleaming off my sunglasses. Suddenly I feel not just like any old toursit but a honored quest privid to viewing of life, great and small.

Up until now I've had a little powershot, its done me well, but it is time to allow him to retire and step up into the world of SLR's. I must confess that I am intimidated by having such a camera. Not that I fear using it but the fact that people will assume I'm a seasoned photographer. Let it be known that I am not! I enjoy the art of it, the playfulness of playing around with angles and lighting...waiting for just the right moment and the thrill of a perfect shot. But, I am an ammature, never taken a class. Like anything, I hate the thought of pressure to perform. So, I fear that by having such a device, the expectations for superior pictures will take away from the enjoyment of the experience. But I am willing to face this fear and move past it, people will think what they may and I shall prevail:)

So, I formally introduce my Nikon D5000, who is to be my closest and constant companion on this journey abroad. For his memory carries the only evidence of my travels.

And so I ask that you give me grace and I learn, explore, play around, and get to know this new device.

2 comments:

  1. Love that first pic of you! Beautiful! I still think you are an artist: the way you cook food, make drinks, take pics, dance...art can't be put in the sewing & painting box, it is way beyond that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a TERRIFIC photographer!
    Looking forward to seeing you on Monday and to hear all about your adventures throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete