Sunday, August 2, 2009

Preserving the Sabado (Sabbath)

Very cute boy chasing the pigeons.






Overlooking the city of Valenica



Some ancient preserved hand of a Saint that people were worshiping. Strange and nasty looking.



Local Cathedral


Wendy picking out some wine.


Old city Valencia.


My by the fountain in a Piazza close to our hostal.



mmmmmm....yummy Tapas for appetizers.



We slept in this morning till 9:30, thanks to the Spanish couple last night that thought they'd like to yell at each other at 4:30 am till dawn. Oh well, at least i had earplugs. After a wonderful breakfast consisting of cafe con lech y un tostados (coffee and toast) we walked over to the cathedral near by and toured around. The 4K's had plans to go to the local zoo for the rest of the day. I wasn't so interested and loved the idea of having the day to myself. So, I stayed behind and stayed for morning mass. I don't know why but I really enjoy Catholic services, something so different and I can just sink into the back pew and worship in my own way. At the end of the service communion was offered and I felt that I wanted to fully embrace the experience, so I walked up to the front and the priest put one of those little waffers that taste like sawbust and feel like styrofoam on my tongue in the nombre de Padre, Jesus, y El Spirito Santo. I tried my best to follow the service, crossing myself I'm sure the wrong way, and probably offended most of the members but I just really felt that I too needed a place to worship even it was someplace totally different than what I am used to. In fact I felt that was the point. It's like I turn off my discernement radar and just embrace the fact that we all worship the same God. I'm going to see if I can try to attend a church service every Sunday that I'm here.

For the rest of my day I wandered around the old city streets, found an old castle a great view of the city, walked through a Sunday market and bought a pair of earings, grabbed a bagette sandwich for lunch and took a wonderful afternoon nap. This day was highly needed!

2 comments:

  1. Good call in tuning in to your sabbath needs, keep it up, it can be tricky doing that while travelling, so hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw someone wearing that same white shirt as you at the bus stop this morning and it made me smile to think of you.

    ReplyDelete