Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Lisboa

Today was the first day where I actually felt quite productive and emmursed in my surroundings. I am not sure why, but it has been difficult for me to enjoy where I am as odd as that sounds. Unlike my other trips where I have felt the most alive while traveling, my spirit has been somewhat weary and distant from the environment around me. But today I purposefuly filled my day with sightseeing and freed myself to spend money so as to fully experience all that Lisoba has to offer.



Arriving here yesterday, we hopped aboard a tram and toured around the Alfama, old district, that we are staying in. This is the only part of the city that was not hit by the devestating earthquake in the 18th century. Our hostel here is wonderful, though I am staying in a 12 bed mixed dorm and the Ks have their own private room...ha ha, really its all good. So far we have cooked our own suppers and have a complementary breakfast so really we have it made. The place is super clean, really friendly and helpful staff, and an 11 pm curfew no so midnight suprises!

Today we toured Alfama by foot and started off by strolling through a Flea Market that is open every Tuesday. My romanticized ideas of Flea Markets have been dissolved as this was really just an outdoor, expensive, MCC/Hippies R Us. None the less it was cool to miander through the streets and take pictures of the old couples selling their antiques.



After stopping for an 80 cent espresso with milk and rice pudding, we continued on to the Iguia de St Apologia. A huge beautiful old Cathedral that in which every room, stairwell, corridor, and cortyard is lined with handpainted tiles depicting Portugals history.


This city is filled with music and history...as is most of Europe I suppose.

Next stop was another church. This one was build in the 12 century as is the oldest building in all of Lisboa. In side the Cloister there rests tomb upon tomb of dead priests; a little errie as there are no barricades stopping you from opening up the antient coffins and seeing the decayed remains for yourself.




While enroute to find the famous 1st Century castle, we of course got lost and lucked upon a resturant with a sign that read " Come try our good Portugese wine and cheese and yes...we also give directions." Needing directions and a snack, we went in and recieved both.


We eventually found our way through the unmarked streets to the castle and while the other 4 went back down hill towards the sea, I ventured through the ruins, enjoying incredible views of the city.

2 comments:

  1. You take amazing pictures! I'd like to try the bread and cheese in the picture. We actually have some summer temps here - hope you're still enjoying more normal temps where you are.

    Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying the opportunity to travel with you through your blog. Sounds and looks like a great adventure. Love all the pics, keep them coming. Take care.

    Rhonda Kaluzny

    ReplyDelete