Monday, May 17, 2010

Venice: Under My Umbrella

Dish of the Day: Pasta Fasioli Soup & Hand Tossed Zucchini, Mushroom, Tomato, and Parmesan Pizza
Wine: 2007 Bastiano, Cabernet Sauvignon
Dessert: I wanted to have Tiramisu, but was SO full after dinner that I couldn’t stuff another morsel of food in my mouth

First of all, I apologize for my delayed posting. I’m afraid that for the past 2 days, our late evenings and early mornings have resulted in little time or energy to write. But I now find myself sitting on a train on route to Northern France with the lovely French morning sunshine bidding me to account for the past few days that have transpired.

Venice, the name itself has long inspired images of romance and enchantment. I have found in most of my travels that the cities people love, I generally dislike, and those people dislike, I generally love. Venice, is no exception to this rule. Many have advised me not to visit this ancient cultural hubbub, claiming it is a filthy decaying city not worth romanticizing. Yes, Venice is wet, dirty, and sinking, and it is for all these reasons why I have fallen in love with the city.

What have these canals all been witness too? What secrets do the walls hold deep within their wind-worn frame? I am captivated by the history, the determination it takes for this city to survive, and the serenity that persists despite the volume of tourism. The cities decay is evidence of its history, its erosion conformation of human fragility, and the dirt...well that’s just inevitable, and actually not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

The brief afternoon I spent in the birth place of espresso, though rain-soaked and hastily explored, was a tantalizing taste of the richness yet to be discovered. An experience to be repeated and lengthened for this city truly is enchanting, and next time...I’m bringing Rubber Boots!

And now for some Venetian Bloopers:



Red lipstick and whipping your nose don't always go well together

Corteasan Funk


So everyone walks on bridges...going against the flow has its costs
.
It's not what you're wearing, but who you're wearing...Calvin is donning a 100% Authentic Chinese Armani Jacket


Venetian Gymnastics are especially challenging giving the mossy conditions...take the balance beam for example.


Paying homage to the espresso god...okay there's only one God. But if I were pagan I would worship the god of caffeine...I'm sure there's one of those amongst the hundreds of deities.

Got Foam?

Venetian Parallel Bars...tricky to land during flood season

Wicked Witch of Funk

And now something a little more picturesque:







I know my umbrella's awesome but the real question is...what is so fascinating that I am always looking to my right? (scroll down)







Gondola shmondola...I wanted a ride in this boat, way less cliche and oh so awesome.




The Grand Canal

This post is actually in about 4 feet of water, 5 feet from the river bank...???



No comments:

Post a Comment