Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bologna: Be Italian

Dish of the Day: Mushroom Pizza on Focaccia Bread
Wine: 2007 Syrah
Gelati Flavor: Pistachio

I did not enjoy the motion picture musical, "Nine." Maybe the director put to much pressure on himself to surpass his first film's, "Chicago," raving success, that he consequently came up with...nothing. Perhaps this is harsh, but as cliche as it sounds..."that's show biz!" However bland and void of plot I found it to be, there was one brief moment of Broadway Brilliance, trapped within the dreary surrounding screenplay. The song, "Be Italian," sung by the central female characters who are caught in a love trapezoid, is an eerie cry...nay, a haunting plea for every Italian to rise up and embody their beloved country.

As I walked through the streets of Bologna, Italy today I found myself humming 2 songs on repeat. The first being "Holi Re", a song from my Bollywood dance class, and the second being the redeeming song that saved "Nine" from being a "Zero." I find myself wanting to accept the challenge and make it my quest to Be Italian, or at least blend in enough so that the song is not rewritten to "Not Italian." This will be my quest for the remaining 4 days that I am here! Tomorrow I will put on my Red Jacket and see what the day has store. For now I will enjoy the smell of rain, the romance of espresso, the richness of wine and the endless allies that forever inspire.

















My favoritest of favorite shoes, which were 4 Euros and have lasted me through a 20 km hike, numerous walks, and countless adventures, apparently have a crack in the sole causing me to realize how I take dry socks for granted. My foot is a prune, a prune is my foot; all because mine shoe its Kaput! Just a little diddly I whipped up to help express my sadness.

4 comments:

  1. oh, poor foot...very nice diddy, but not so nice-ah foot :(
    you my friend are a fantastic photographer...i feel like i'm almost there.
    dar

    ReplyDelete
  2. props on the photos!
    seriously, they're really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favourites: one with the red cafe tables, pic of wine, and of you drinking wine...AND pistachio is my ultimate fav man...how DARE you...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also LOVE the picture of the red cafe tables!! so sad to hear about the shoes...they have been through a lot! Keep the fantastic posts coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete